Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project
Brisbane City Council will be working with the local community to plan the improvement proposal to refresh the neighbourhood shopping precinct on Hamilton Road (between Millcan Street and Albar Street), Wavell Heights as part of the Village Precinct Projects program.
We're committing $400,000 to the improvement project, which aims to:
- improve the amenity, connectivity and safety for locals and residents in the centre
- contribute to and encourage local economic development
- enhance the community's sense of place at this neighbourhood centre.
This is part of Council’s commitment to create a city of neighbourhoods, a key principle of the recently released Brisbane’s Future Blueprint, with vibrant suburban centres for our local communities.
Community consultation and engagement
The local community was encouraged to become involved in the planning for the revitalisation proposal by providing feedback during a three-week consultation period in November and December 2018.
Download the final improvement proposal plan:
- Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project final improvement proposal (PDF - 2.2Mb)
- Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project final improvement proposal (Word - 971kb).
Council received more than 110 responses during the three-week survey period, as well as talking to more than 30 people at our onsite information kiosk on Saturday 8 December 2018. This feedback assisted Council in understanding what the community thinks is important in their neighbourhood and informed the revitalisation plan for the Wavell Heights local neighbourhood shopping precinct.
What happens next?
|Precinct improvement plan||An improvement plan has been prepared in response to the community's feedback. The plan will be displayed in the Hamilton Road, Wavell Heights neighbourhood shopping precinct, Northgate Ward Office and Banyo Library.|
|Construction||Construction will begin in late April 2019 and be completed by mid-2019. Council will consult with each business in the neighbourhood centre to ensure minimal disruption occurs during construction. Access to every shop in the shopping centre will be maintained during business hours.|
|Activation event||Local residents and businesses will be invited to an activation event to celebrate the completion of the project and also promote the upgraded neighbourhood centre. More information will be provided in the coming months.|
Expected improvements include:
- footpath upgrades to improve accessibility, maintenance and visual amenity
- bus stop upgrades incorporating standard street furniture
- tree planting to improve visual and physical amenity, while providing shade
- groundcover plantings to new garden beds
- unique street furniture
- improving pedestrain safety by upgrading the existing pedestrian crossing
- placemaking elements to enhance centre character and identify and create a focal point for the community.
Construction timing and impacts
Construction will commence in late April 2019 and is planned to be completed by mid-2019, weather and site conditions permitting.
Construction will be conducted as night works and will primarily take place between 7pm-5am from Monday evenings to Friday mornings. Some of the refurbishment works may be undertaken on the weekends, as required.
Access to every shop will be maintained during business hours for the construction period.
Properties near the work may experience some construction noise, dust and vibration. Every effort will be made to minimise the impacts on the local community.
Due to workplace health and safety requirements, reversing beepers cannot be switched off.
Council is committed to minimising the impact of the works on the community as much as possible. We would like to thank local residents in advance for their patience and understanding during construction.
For more information on the Wavell Heights Village Precinct Project, phone Council on 07 3403 8888 and ask to speak with the project team.