Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project - Brisbane City
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce that the upgrade to the Adelaide Street and Creek Street intersection in Brisbane CBD, as part of the Australian Government black spot program, is now complete.
|Address||Adelaide Street and Creek Street – Brisbane CBD|
|Project outcome||Improved safety for all road users|
|Latest news||Project complete|
About the project
The Australian Government’s Black Spot Program is part of the National Road Safety Strategy, which aims to improve road safety and reduce the risk of crashes, by implementing upgrade measures at each black spot location.
Between 2015 to 2021, the Adelaide Street and Creek Street intersection recorded a total of 16 crashes, with 12 requiring hospitalisation or medical treatment. Nine of the 16 crashes included people walking and riding and two included motorists turning right and striking people crossing the road. These accidents can be attributed to motorists choosing inappropriate gaps in the traffic due to high traffic and pedestrian volumes.
This black spot project has delivered safety improvements at the intersection for all road users by implementing red arrows to control the right turn movement from Adelaide Street into Creek Street. This upgrade has also enhanced visibility for motorists and increased protection for people walking and riding at the intersection.
This project was fully funded by the Australian Government as part of the 2022 – 2023 Black Spot Program.
- Enhanced safety for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists travelling through the intersection.
- Improved the overall operation of the busy inner-city intersection for all road users.
The project involved:
- installing an additional traffic signal mast arm to improve visibility of traffic signals for road users
- provision of red right-turn arrows to protect pedestrians crossing Creek Street
- revising traffic signal phasing to cater to the additional red right-turn arrows
- trimming trees as required to improve visibility for road users.
- July 2022 – Project introduction
- November 2022 – Start of construction
- December 2022 – End of construction
- Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project newsletter (PDF - 1.08Mb)
- Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project newsletter (Word - 1.01Mb)
- Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project plan (PDF - 659.58 kb)
- Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project plan (Word - 863.5 kb)
If you would like to find out more about the Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project you can:
- phone the project team on 1800 884 681 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (outside business hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
- Adelaide Street and Creek Street black spot project
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001.