Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - Morningside and Norman Park
The Wynnum Road corridor is an important route in Brisbane’s road network. The corridor provides access between suburban and commercial catchments in Brisbane's eastern suburbs, the Central Business District and beyond.
Brisbane City Council is delivering the upgrade to the Wynnum Road corridor in stages. Stage 1b of the corridor upgrade will complement the works undertaken as part of Stage 1. Council is implementing interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along Wynnum Road, between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.
Stage 1 of the upgrade is from Latrobe Street to Canning Bridge and saw this section of Lytton Road widened to six lanes. This was completed in April 2020, with minor defects works currently being undertaken. Stage 1b of the corridor upgrade complements the works undertaken as part of Stage 1.
Council is pleased to advise that the main construction works on Wynnum Road corridor upgrade Stage 1b are now complete.
Construction on the Stage 1b upgrade started in March 2019 and was completed at the end of August 2020, apart from minor landscape works and defects rectifications. The interim measures aim to improve traffic efficiency and safety along Wynnum Road, between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.
Council also completed as part of Stage 1b the extended peak hour bus jump lane from Hipwood Street to Bennetts Road in January 2020 to improve bus travel times and service reliability.
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade Stage 1b fly-through video
Watch the fly-through video to learn more about this stage of the project.
|Address||Wynnum Road – Canning Bridge to Riding Road (including Balmoral Street), Morningside/Norman Park|
|Project outcome||This upgrade will provide interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along the corridor between Canning Bridge and Riding Road.|
End of main construction works - Stage 1b
The Wynnum Road corridor upgrade – Stage 1b involved:
- upgrading the Norman Avenue intersection, including a U-turn for eastbound traffic to travel westbound
- removing unsafe right-turn movements across Wynnum Road at Gillan Street, Norman Crescent and Overend Street
- rationalising bus stops to reduce impacts on traffic flow
- indenting the outbound bus stop at Norman Avenue
- extending the existing bus jump lane (7-9am, Monday to Friday) from Bennetts Road to Hipwood Street
- improving the existing U-turn facility on Wynnum Road near Kingsbury Street.
- providing interim measures to improve traffic efficiency and safety along the corridor
- supporting access to surrounding residential areas
- improving bus travel times and service reliability
- ensuring an efficient bus network and reduce impacts on traffic flow.
In the coming weeks, the community will continue to see workers on site completing minor works including property reinstatements, landscaping, signage and minor rectification works.
It is anticipated that all works will be completed in late September 2020, weather and site conditions permitting.
You can download the following documents:
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - project plan (PDF - 2.7Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - project plan (Word - 1.7Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - key findings from the business case, June 2017 (PDF - 1.8Mb)
- Wynnum Road corridor upgrade: Stage 1b interim measures - key findings from the business case, June 2017 (Word - 598Mb)
- Business case - Wynnum Road corridor upgrade, Stage 1b interim measures, Canning Bridge to Riding Road (PDF - 12.3Mb).
For more information about this project:
- phone the project team on 1800 572 132 (during business hours)
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888 (after hours)
- email the project team
- write to:
Wynnum Road corridor upgrade - Stage 1b
City Projects Office
Brisbane City Council
GPO Box 1434
Brisbane Qld 4001