Permits and licences for properties | Brisbane City Council

Permits and licences for properties

If you have a lease or a full licence (not a seasonal licence) for a Brisbane City Council premises you may need liquor, gaming or health licences.

Liquor licensing

There are several types of liquor licences and permits available from the Queensland Government.

Council consent for selling alcohol

Your lease will specify if alcohol is permitted on your premises under a liquor licence (check your lease agreement).

Even if your lease permits a liquor licence, you still require Council's consent/input on the application to the Queensland Government.

The first step is to contact the Community Facilities Operations Team by either emailing or phoning Council on 3403 8888 to discuss your proposal.

The Community Facilities Operations Team can advise you of the process you need to follow.


The terms and conditions of your lease will indicate if gaming such as poker machines or bingo, is allowed on your premises (check your lease agreement).

Applications for gaming licences need to be made to the Queensland Office of Gaming Regulation.

For more information, visit Queensland Government.

Food licences

The Food Act 2006 requires certain food businesses where food is prepared, packed, stored, handled, served or supplied to be licensed with Brisbane City Council.

For more information, visit food business licences

Event and festival permits

If you are planning an event, you may require an Entertainment Event Permit.

These permits apply to any venue to which the public is invited, whether or not you charge an entry fee. There are also related event approvals that may be required for both small and large events. 

An understanding of Council's requirements for event preparation, safety and notification to stakeholders is essential before you start planning your event.

For more information on all event and festival approvals, permits as well as a range of useful event planning resources visit Events and festivals.

For events or festivals on lease sites, phone Council’s Festival and Events Liaison Officer on 133 BNE (133 263) for specific advice, regardless of the number of people expected to attend the event. Council’s Festival and Events Liaison Officer will coordinate Council’s assessment of the proposal and will advise if an Entertainment Event Permit is required.

To receive an Entertainment Venues and Events Permit information kit, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.

22 January 2019