Brisbane's Sister City - Chongqing
Chongqing is Brisbane’s largest sister city and one of the largest cities in the world. Chongqing:
- has a population of more than 30 million
- is located on the upper reaches of the Yangtze River, straddling the region which connects the middle and western parts of China
- covers an area of 82,403 square kilometres
- is the largest inland port city in China.
Chongqing Municipal Government operates directly under the Central Government of the People’s Republic of China. It is the youngest but the largest autonomous municipality in China. The establishment of the Chongqing municipality in 1997 represented a major breakthrough in China's initiatives to speed up economic development in the central and western regions.
The municipality is rich in natural resources, with coal, natural gas, and petroleum being amongst its more than 40 kinds of mineral deposits. It is one of four major automobile and military production bases in China and is also becoming the motorcycle manufacturing capital of the country. Automobiles, metallurgical and chemicals are considered the main industrial pillars within the municipality.
Other major industries include:
- building materials
- food processing.
- Chongqing key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (PDF - 1.9Mb)
- Chongqing key facts and opportunity sectors fact sheet (Word - 99kb).
For more information visit the Chongqing Sister Cities website.