Shorncliffe Escarpment management plan
Brisbane City Council is pleased to announce the creation of a management plan for the Shorncliffe Escarpment.
The Shorncliffe Escarpment is a high-profile natural landscape feature that contributes to making our city clean, green and sustainable. The significant headland with its framed views and vistas provides an iconic backdrop to the Sandgate Foreshore Parklands recreation areas and the Shorncliffe Pier.
The proposed Management Plan will provide the future vision for the escarpment and related actions for how Council plans to maintain the escarpment in the short, medium and long term to ensure its ecological and recreational values.
|Address||Shorncliffe Escarpment - Sandgate Foreshores Park|
|Project outcomes||A management plan for Shorncliffe Escarpment|
|Latest update||Stage one - technical site investigations are currently being undertaken.|
About the project
Brisbane City Council is committed to keeping Brisbane clean and green, making our city liveable and sustainable for future generations.
Council is developing a management plan for the Shorncliffe Escarpment to nurture and protect this high-profile key natural landscape feature.
Current works involve technical site investigations to assess the current environmental conditions of the escarpment.
Following the technical investigations, Council will invite the community to provide feedback at community engagement information kiosks and online.
The escarpment area includes the area between the upper pathway at the top of the embankment area and the “inland” edge of the lower pathway along the foreshore.
The larger recreation areas within Moora Park and the Sandgate Foreshores Park are outside of the scope of this project, as is the foreshore area including the seawall and the pier.
Other Council initiatives and projects undergoing concurrent development within the local area, such as the Shorncliffe Kiosk are outside the scope of this project.
The potential benefits of the project are to:
- protect and enhance the integral elements that make the Shorncliffe Escarpment an iconic Brisbane feature
- assess conditions of the escarpment, including erosion, bank stability, vegetation health, composition and biodiversity
- improve user experience, amenity and safety along the escarpment
- improve shade coverage adding to the Brisbane Clean, Green Sustainable target of 50% shade cover for footpaths and bikeways in residential areas by 2031
- align with the Brisbane’s Future Blueprint principles to “protect and create greenspace” and “empower and engage residents”
- engage with the community to develop a vision for the Shorncliffe Escarpment
- inform future maintenance priorities along the Shorncliffe Escarpment to ensure it is appropriately managed.
|Late 2018||Technical site investigations will be undertaken at various locations along the Shorncliffe Escarpment.|
|Early 2019||Community engagement and feedback.|
|Mid 2019||Management plan completed mid-2019.|
Have your say
Council will open opportunities for feedback in early 2019 with community engagement information kiosks and an online platform.
If you would like to ask questions or find out more about the project, you can:
- phone Council on 07 3403 8888
- email the project team.